1. Colours great but if you use them to represent a dept, company, etc would be great if you could put a legend on the chart so that when you print it or e-mail it the recipient can understand the coding.
2. Any chance the chart could either auto-format or allow manual formatting so that larger org structures can use space below smaller org structures so that the overall width of the chart is reduced. This would allow it to be easier to read/understand when printed.
3. Wrapping text; this is especially for job titles. I know can use large or extra large format but this creates issue on print size.
Otherwise think app and OS version great.
Thanks the idea. Would you please help to check following my comments?
1. “… put a legend on…”
Can you please share more details about it? I guess but am not sure if you mean to add image to the chart blocks?
2. Allow manual adjustment to reduce chart width
A: It’s possible the app to automatically reduce the space (if there is enough space to use)
- Manually adjusting chart position will cause many other problems, for example when changed other department, the manual work will not be valid, this will confuse the users much
- For a large chart, to automatically reduce space, the calculating will be a big pressure for iOS device
3. Wrap text
A: Also it’s possible, the issue is that wrapping text will make the chart block be urgly sometimes, and the layout will be not that aligned.
for your idea #2 and #3, the purpose is to reduce chart width, I don’t know if you tried other chart layout (not only use the default layout), I’d like suggest you to try other layouts if you didn’t get chance to try them.
I was also thinking of the legend idea. Basically, if you use colors to separate departments, or even for better visibility of team leaders and managers, a legend describing what each color represents is a must. Think of it like an excel chart. You won't know what the data is unless you have the legend describing them.
Another idea would be to be able to group people inside of a box. This enhances the visual representation of a specific group you would like to highlight in the org chart.